27 to 40 weeks/ 7 to 9 months
The final and most exciting stage of your pregnancy! Symptoms often experienced are: Urinary incontinence, varicose veins, changes to sleeping patterns, shortness of breath and haemorrhoids, amongst other things. You size towards the end of your pregnancy will probably be the most uncomfortable factor and just getting around can begin to feel very uncomfortable. Each woman experiences pregnancy very differently and this should be respected when considering what sore of exercise regime you may want to undertake. Some women have trained safely right up to the day before the birth, but please listen to your body and stop when it tells you to, and failing that stop when your GP/midwife/Exercise instructor tell you to!
Exercise during the 3rd trimester:
- The non-exerciser must not start exercising.
- The same exercises as in the 2nd trimester can be continued, but pay attention to blood pressure and shortness of breath even more now.
- By now you may be feeling quite uncomfortable, as there is a lot of pressure pulling the spine forwards, ankles may be swelling etc etc. Be kind to yourself, exercise gently and with a great deal of self-care.
- It may be necessary to change position more frequently as it is uncomfortable being in the same position for too long.
- Be aware that you posture at this point will have been pulled out of position and so any exercise must use very light weights and be low impact.
- Lying on your back may be especially uncomfortable, as in the 2nd trimester prop yourself up with pillows or perform exercises in seated and/or standing.
- Your centre of gravity has now been dramatically altered, so avoid too much balancing unless the support of the wall is nearby.
- Avoid eating before exercising.
- Some women develop Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in the third trimester, so it may be difficult to stay on all-fours for too long.
- Be aware of pelvic pain (Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction) or Sacro-Iliac pain as some exercises will need to be avoided and/or adjusted.
Contact me to discuss your requirements and to get active during your pregnancy!
Exercise During Pregnancy
Pre / Post Natal Exercise
0 to 13 weeks/1 to 3 months
14 to 26 weeks/ 4 to 6 months
When To Stop
When to cease exercising during pregnancy